751 Oak Hill Road
The land that comprises Cumberland State Forest has a long history of farming. Evidence of the land’s former inhabitants can be seen in the cemeteries and old homesteads scattered throughout the forest. By the mid-1930s, much of this land had become unproductive and was highly eroded. At that time, the federal government began purchasing marginal farmland under the Bankhead-Jones Farm Tenant Act, enacted to help conserve and restore the health of the land. Much of this purchased land was soon leased to the state. In 1954, the federal government deeded land to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the Cumberland State Forest was born. Under the Virginia Department of Forestry’s management, the forest grew to its present 16,222 acres in central Virginia’s Cumberland County.