8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Signal Knob Trailhead
The Signal Knob hike in the George Washington National Forest has spectacular views of Strasburg VA in the Shenandoah Valley, as well as Buzzard Rock in Fort Valley to the east. Signal Knob, at 2,106ft, gets its name as both Confederate and Union troops used it as a lookout during the Civil War. The Confederate Signal Corps controlled the outlook from 1862 until August 14, 1864, when Union troops defeated the 61st Georgia Volunteer Infantry and took control of the peak.
- Difficulty: Very Strenuous
- Hike Distance: 10 miles
- Elevation Change: 2680 feet
- Hike Pace: Moderate
- Terrain: Gravel/Rocky/Mountainous
- Recommended Hiking Gear: (Broken in hiking shoes/boots; backpack with water, lunch, snacks, rain gear, sunscreen, insect repellent, basic first aid)
- Organizer Will Provide: Trail maps, driving directions, first aid
- Dogs Allowed: No
- Max Group Size: 10
- Cancellation: If weather becomes an issue, please check your email or contact the “Adventure Specialist” for this event.
Please visit our website for details on our group policies.
Please bring cash to chip in for shared expenses.
- Recommended Carpool Fee (If applicable): $60.00 per vehicle
- Optional Post-Hike Dinner/Drinks
GUIDELINES FOR SOCIAL DISTANCING IN THE AGE OF COVID
- Bring hand sanitizer and a mask or face covering. Use when necessary.
- Avoid physical contact with other participants. Do not share food or hiking gear.
- Maintain a safe distance from others when hiking or congregating before hikes.
- Avoid use of public restrooms and facilities when possible.
- Stay home if you are sick, symptomatic, or have been exposed to others in either category.
HOW TO FIND US
- Meeting location to be emailed to attendees.
- For pre- and post-hike discussion with other participants, look for this event on our Facebook page!
- This event is being hosted by Kim from Central Virginia Trailblazers. If you sign up for this event, you will receive an email confirmation with further details.
Getting too many emails?? Now you can opt to receive email invitations for only the kinds of events that interest you. Update your preferences here.
Look for this event on our Facebook page.
Update your email preferences.