McAfee Knob/Tinker Cliffs (Backpacking Trip, 15 Miles, Strenuous) ***CANCELED***

Loading Map....

Date(s)
Saturday, 05/04/2019 - Sunday, 05/05/2019

Time(s)
7:00 am - 7:00 pm

Calendar Exports
iCal, Google Calendar

Location
McAfee Knob Trailhead


You must be a logged in member of CVT to view event details.
65 Comments
  1. june 10 months ago

    How can I put my name on the waiting list? Thank you

  2. JoeGiasullo 10 months ago

    I promise to try and not get “lost” this time.

  3. Marsha 9 months ago

    Room for Chris and I? Have a big truck with seating for 7.

  4. Chris W. 9 months ago

    Yes, our truck / SUV will carry 7 people and their gear comfortably.

  5. Author
    Brian 9 months ago

    I’d love to have you guys, but I need to keep this group pretty small. I suspect campsites near McAfee will pretty scarce being a fall weekend. That said, some spots will probably open up. Or if you’d like to lead a group, we can add a second trip on a different weekend.

  6. june 9 months ago

    Thank you, Brian: looking forward to backpacking with you guys. ????

  7. KristenAllegood 8 months ago

    wait list please

  8. Jason Carlton 8 months ago

    Wait list me too please

  9. Kristen W. 8 months ago

    I would like to be put on the wait list, please. This is my first experience with this group. So, I have a question…. Can I meet you all there and bum a ride back to the start?

  10. Author
    Brian 8 months ago

    Since we have so much interest, is there anyone with backpacking experience who would be willing to lead a McAfee Knob trip on a different weekend?

  11. Kristen W. 8 months ago

    I would love to. I could do a different weekend or lead a 2nd group on this weekend. I hiked 500 miles of the AT this summer. So, I have a little experience.

  12. Author
    Brian 7 months ago

    Attention wait listers! I just got off the phone with Kristen (a.k.a. Snapchat), and she has agreed to lead a second trip on the weekend of 11/3-11/4. Same itinerary. Kristen has hiked 500 miles of the A.T. (including McAfee), so she knows what she’s doing! πŸ™‚ Sign up here: https://www.cvatrailblazers.org/events/mcafee-knob-tinker-cliffs-2/

  13. Author
    Brian 7 months ago

    The forecast calls for subfreezing temperatures Saturday night. I’m not really a winter backpacker, and my sleeping bag isn’t rated for temps that low. What do you guys think?

  14. Kristen W. 7 months ago

    I am not going to come. I am just going to section hike during the day Friday, Sat and Sunday. No need to risk hypothermia.

  15. Author
    Brian 7 months ago

    I’ll give it another day or two. Unless the forecast changes, or unless someone else wants to lead it, I’ll probably postpone until next spring.

  16. Kristen W. 7 months ago

    you guys are KILLING me….
    πŸ™‚

  17. Leigh S. 7 months ago

    Must cancel reluctantly. I’ve been gone so long a few things require my attention. I hope you have a great trip. Take a hot water bottle for your sleeping bag and laugh at the cold!!

  18. Author
    Brian 6 months ago

    Due to the forecasted subfreezing overnight low Saturday night, I have rescheduled this for the first weekend in May. Please cancel your RSVP and request a refund if the new date doesn’t work for you. Stay warm!

  19. KimE 6 months ago

    Commenting for waitlist purposes

  20. JoeGiasullo 6 months ago

    May 5th is my anniversary, so I will not be going. However, I will hang on to my spot and hope for a rain delay.

  21. JoeGiasullo 6 months ago

    wrong thread. I’m an idiot.

  22. joanoberle 6 months ago

    waitlist please!

    • JoeGiasullo 6 months ago

      You can plan on going if the date does not change as I cannot make the 5/4 weekend (it’s my anniversary). I’m just holding on to the spot just in case of a rain delay and/or divorce; both are likely.

  23. Philip L. 2 months ago

    Spot open.

  24. KimE 2 months ago

    Space open

  25. JoeGiasullo 4 weeks ago

    So, in between the last time i posted in this thread and now I have had shoulder/bicep surgery. Not only is it my anniversary but there is also no way I can carry a heavy pack; let alone set up my gear with one arm. Anyhoo, anyone interested in going can have my spot. Just let me know. I am; however, holding on to the likely hood of a rainout. So I will not cancel until the last moment.

  26. Leigh S. 4 weeks ago

    Hey Joe,
    I’ll take your spot and if it’s cancelled I’ll give you first dibs on taking it back. Will that work?

  27. Leigh S. 4 weeks ago

    So you gonna hand it over? Or do we meet in some alley in the dark web?

  28. Author
    Brian 4 weeks ago

    Leigh, you’re in and Joe is out! Joe, I sent you a Trail Buck. Buy a nice anniversary present for Mariluz…she has earned it!

  29. Jen 4 weeks ago

    Waitlist!

  30. Author
    Brian 3 weeks ago

    The Accuweather forecast shows a chance of passing showers or thunderstorms in the Roanoke area this weekend, but not looking like a washout yet. Let’s keep an eye on it.

    • Author
      Brian 3 weeks ago

      Still looks like ~50% chance of showers/thunderstorms Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning. The thunderstorms worry me a bit. What do you guys think?

  31. LindseyBorgsmiller 3 weeks ago

    That is such a tough call….I agree – I do not love the high risk of thunderstorms – especially when we are in such a great place where we want to hang out at the top….But the weather report at McAfee Knob keeps fluctuating.

    Just throwing it out there – I am free next weekend (Although HomePlace on Mother’s day may be crazy), or June 8-9 or 15-16!!! πŸ™‚

  32. Author
    Brian 3 weeks ago

    I don’t trust those damn Europeans!!! πŸ™‚ Six hours is a bit too long for a day trip IMO. Let’s check the forecasts again in the morning. If rain still likely, I vote we reschedule, and as a Saturday-only option we could jump on Keith’s Sherando Lake/Torry Ridge hike, which is one of my favorites (assuming he doesn’t reschedule). Or if folks still want to try McAfee, we can leave that on the calendar and you guys can self-coordinate.

    • Author
      Brian 3 weeks ago

      Another thought if we do reschedule…I just posted Lori’s Carvin’s Cove trip in August. That isn’t far from McAfee. Could add an option to extend that trip an extra day and do McAfee/Tinker Cliffs as a day hike.

    • Steve H. 2 weeks ago

      regarding those damn Europeans ..
      forecasts were pretty spot on. as typical +/- 1.5 hours faster or slower is wise
      see pics

  33. june 3 weeks ago

    Hello, Brian: I have signed up another hike tomorrow in case this one has been canceled. For now, I am double booked intentionally but prefer this one. Thank you!

  34. LindseyBorgsmiller 3 weeks ago

    So Saturday’s forecast got so much better (on the site I use, at least)…and now Sunday looks like likelihood of thunderstorms. πŸ™ Maybe it will just keep pushing out until all the rain is on Monday and leaves our weekend alone!

    Maybe we could all pack our packs and carry it on Keith’s day hike and pretend. πŸ™‚

  35. Author
    Brian 3 weeks ago

    I don’t hear anyone screaming for us to go for it, so I will call the trip canceled (for now) and we can look for a make-up weekend later. I can’t do next weekend, but if you guys want to do it, I can change it on the calendar and someone else can lead it…or you could wait for the Carvin Cove trip in August.

  36. june 3 weeks ago

    I do not think that it helps if I screamed to go πŸ™‚

  37. JoeGiasullo 2 weeks ago

    It’s hard work being right all of the time. I’ll take that spot back if you please.

Leave a reply

Β©2019 Pepita Enterprises Worldwide | Privacy Policy
or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account