12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Get fine tuned for backpacking this spring and learn new skills.
Some people have expressed interest in starting backpacking, others are interested in learning a few new skills and some of you may just be pyromaniacs. This class has something for everyone!
I’ll host this event at my place in Montpelier where we can build fires and forage for wood without getting stymied by the man. There is also plenty of space to set up all your equipment and compare notes with your fellow backpackers.
Bring all your equipment you think you need to take for backpacking (food not necessary unless you want to bring it).
- How to adjust your pack
- How to pack your pack efficiently
- Determine much of this stuff do I need. Pet rocks and bowling balls are usually a poor choice!
- Mock camp; where you will practice setting up your camp, striking camp and make all that stuff fit back in your pack.
- Learn to build a camp fire; how to forage for wood, start a fire with no accellerant or paper products just a match or lighter.
- How to extinguish a fire so you can safely leave camp.
- For any intrepid pyromaniacs I have a couple flints and steel where you can build a fire with no matches.
- How to hang a bear bag.
- Digging a cat hole. Remember this is only mock camping!
Afterwards we can build another bonfire and cook some s’mores if you are interested.Our event sign-up process has changed! Read more about the changes.
Look for this event on our Facebook page.
Update your email preferences.