9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Pocahontas State Park
Topographic maps are a wealth of information for the backpacker or serious hiker. There is a satisfaction in knowing where you are and what the trail ahead might bring.
In a few hours we will learn
- How to orient your map
- How to estimate elevation gain or What all those squiggly lines mean.
- Identify likely camping locations.
- How to estimate the distance on your intended trail.
- How to follow a direction through the woods.
- How to triangulate to get your location on a map when you can pick out two landmarks.
You will need a compass (NOT the kind you draw circles with), a pencil and a straight edge. I’ll provide a topo map.
You will be surprised at how easy it can be to plan trips with some certainty of what awaits you on your hike. You may even feel confident enough to lead your own CVT hikes!
Our event sign-up process has changed! Read more about the changes.
Look for this event on our Facebook page.
Update your email preferences.