A Fistful Of Hollers: Broad Hollow (Day Hike, 6-7 Miles, Challenging)

28 Comments
  1. Author
    Brian 6 months ago

    The CVT Worst Alert Storm Center is closely monitoring the track of Hurricane Florence and its impact on Central Virginia. Shenandoah N.P. has already canceled their Apple Butter Festival on Saturday, so they are taking it pretty seriously. Meanwhile the Milk & Bread Festival continues at area supermarkets.

  2. Author
    Brian 6 months ago

    This just in…Shenandoah National Park (including Skyline Drive) will be closing on Thursday due to the forecast. No indication as to when it will reopen, but Riprap has a LOT of stream crossings, so probably NOT a good time to be doing that hike. I would suggest a Plan B, but if the meteorologists in the CVT Worst Alert Storm Center are correct, the impact is going to be pretty widespread, so chances of a Saturday hike is looking pretty unlikely. Stay tuned for more updates.

  3. Author
    Brian 6 months ago

    The park is opening back up tonight/tomorrow morning…BUT…trails are very wet, and I am concerned about the water levels at many, many stream crossings on this trail, and there is a pretty good chance we’ll get rained on at some point. So no hike tomorrow, but I will reschedule this one as soon as I can. Sorry!

  4. George 6 months ago

    I agree. Just a bad time for a hike.

  5. Author
    Brian 6 months ago

    Moved to Saturday, 12/1, at 7:30am. Note this is the same day as Steve’s “Little Bites” A.T. hike. A couple of you are signed up for that one, so don’t double book yourself. Both hikes are in the Riprap area – Steve’s is an A.T. section hike along the ridge; mine goes down into the hollow and is longer with more elevation change.

  6. Dawn F. 6 months ago

    Unfortunately, I don’t want to miss a segment of the AT hikes Steve is leading.

  7. jayh 6 months ago

    This is the first hike that I did after moving to RVA 20+ years ago. Remind me to tell the story on the trail.

  8. Angelia 4 months ago

    If a spot opens up, please let me know

  9. june 4 months ago

    Btw, I am on the waiting list if anybody dropped. Thanks

  10. Leigh S. 4 months ago

    Love to join in if a spot opens

  11. tlvickers 4 months ago

    Have to cancel. Recently had surgery and won’t be recovered in time.

  12. TimS. 4 months ago

    Going to have to drop this hike too, catch you all next time.

  13. Author
    Brian 4 months ago

    The south portion of Skyline Drive where the Riprap trailhead is located remains closed due to downed trees from the recent ice storm. Thinking about doing the Buck Hollow/Mary’s Rock circuit as an alternative. It’s further north and accessible from the park boundary. Then there’s the weather forecast…if it’s still looking like rain tomorrow afternoon, we may have to reschedule.

  14. Author
    Brian 4 months ago

    The southern portion of Skyline Drive remains closed, so Riprap is out for tomorrow. The forecast is a tough call…we will likely encounter some periods of rain, but it shouldn’t be a complete washout. If you guys still want to hike, a couple of alternative hollers are Buck Hollow/Mary’s Rock (a little tougher – 9 miles/2600′ elev.) or Broad Hollow (a little easier – 7 miles/1600′ elev.). OR we could park at Rockfish Gap, hike a few miles of the A.T., and walk back on Skyline Drive (closed to traffic). Thoughts???

    • Philip L. 4 months ago

      Thanks for the update, Brian. My thought, for what it’s worth, is to reschedule. Sorry, as much I’d love to hike tomorrow, the weather forecast seems too rain-soaked for me based on what I’m reading in the forecasts.

    • Sara P. 4 months ago

      We hiked up the Grand Canyon in the dang snow. I say – Challenge accepted! Let’s do this!

      • JoeGiasullo 4 months ago

        Sara is calling you losers out. I love it. I’m in for Broad Hollow. Let’s make some mistakes together!!!

        • Author
          Brian 4 months ago

          Joe, you’re not even on the RSVP list! But I was thinking Broad Hollow too. It’s a little shorter, so that will help.

          • JoeGiasullo 4 months ago

            Right, because I’m waiting to see what hike you put up or even if the hike happens at all. Make the call El Jefe.

  15. Kenh 4 months ago

    Brian, thanks for keeping an eye on the forecast. I am not much for hiking in the rain on a cold day and will miss this one.

  16. jayh 4 months ago

    Echoing the comments above, I”m out for this one.

  17. joanoberle 4 months ago

    Sorry to say I am cancelling as well. Hope the weather cooperates for the rest of the group!

  18. George 4 months ago

    I still want to hike. Broad Hollow sounds good. I have not been there.

  19. KarenWIlder 4 months ago

    I’m bailing out. Also, Brian, once again I have not been receiving the emails from the comments section. I did get your reminder email. They are not going to spam.

    • Author
      Brian 4 months ago

      You have to subscribe to comments for each event. Should be a check box that says “Subscribe without commenting” on every event page where you are not already subscribed. (You should be subscribed to this event now.)

  20. Author
    Brian 4 months ago

    Thanks Jen, Sara, Kristen, & George for coming out! I guess we know who the REAL hikers are in this group! CVT shirt bonus to Sara; CVT Phrase that Pays bonus to Jen. See you next time.

    • George 4 months ago

      Nice scenic hike. I stayed dry and had a good time. Thanks for taking the time to come up with the alternative hike.

Leave a reply

©2019 Pepita Enterprises Worldwide | Privacy Policy
or

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account